SUMMARY AND INFORMATION
· HB 13-1275: "Concerning the Collection of Human Health Data Regarding Oil and Gas Operations In Counties Near the Front Range"
· Introduced In House 3/21/13 and assigned to Health, Insurance, & Environment Committee
· House Sponsorship: Ginal, Fischer, Foote, Hullinghorst, Schafer, Singer
· Senate Sponsorship: Aguilar
T The bill would set up studies of oil and gas operations, air and water emissions and their impacts on human health for specified counties along the Front Range.
T The bill specifies the formation of a committee composed of legislators and health and bio-science experts who would oversee:
· Assignment of health studies to a scientific group with priority given to experience with oil and gas impacts on health and association with a university (seems to best describe the Colorado School of Public Health)
· Studies to include data collection for Larimer, Weld, Boulder and Arapahoe Counties, with health surveys that would assess health impacts.
· If health impacts are found which are disruptive to normal home and business activities and or cause extreme discomfort or health problems, the oversight committee would be able to immediately call for cease and desist of such emissions at well sites where so documented.
· Collected data from all studies would be made public, including online.
· Anticipated report of results date is March 2014.
T This bill is important for 3 reasons:
- It sets up a transparent public process to scientifically assess health impacts of oil and gas operations in some areas of Colorado, with publicly posted results.
- It sets up an oversight committee, with some legislators and a majority membership of health science experts, to oversee the study and ensure it remains free of bias and undue industry influence.
- It gives the oversight committee the power to order cease and desist of emissions (at studied well areas) that pose extreme discomfort, unhealthy conditions, or health problems.
You may click here to see the full text of HB 13-1275.
You may click here to see other new bills.